The Biology Department would like you to know about a program for selected students to get both a Bachelors degree and a Masters degree in Biology in as quickly as five years.
The dual degree program requires admission in the Spring Term of your Junior year. You should also have a special interest in research in biology.
Criteria for admission:
- At least 90 credits (planned graduation with a BA in Biology from Rutgers-Camden at the end of the next year)
- GPA of 3.5 in major and overall
- Three supportive letters of recommendation
- Personal letter indicating interests
- GRE’s will not be required
Timetable for the Dual Degree Program:
Spring, Junior Year
- The student should apply and be admitted by the pre-registration period. The successful applicant will receive a letter of admission.
- During pre-registration, the student will be advised on his/her senior year schedule and, using a special permission number, will register for ONE graduate course in fall of the senior year. This course will be taken along with the regular undergraduate courses. The undergraduate tuition rate will be charged for it; and the credits will be double counted (i.e. they will be part of the 120 credits required for the BA and will also be counted toward the MA or MS).
Summer, Junior Year
- Begin research for eventual thesis (may register for Special Problems in Biology if needed)
- The student should follow the registration procedure described above, and register for ONE graduate course for spring of the senior year.
- The student must complete all requirements for the BA degree and graduate.
- The student will formally apply to the Graduate School, following all normal procedures except for the normal requirement of GRE scores.
Upon being admitted, the student may begin graduate school in the summer after graduation. And upon entering graduate school, the student will already have completed two of the courses required for the Master’s degree. He/she will also have saved approximately $2000 in graduate tuition.
If you are interested in applying to the dual degree program and meet all the above requirements, please contact:
Graduate Program Director
Department of Biology
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411